What Does It Take to Care for a Rescue Horse?
Countless Hours from Volunteers, Dedicated Staff & Your Generous Support
The average yearly cost to care for one rescue horse at The Horse Shelter is approximately $3,000 and rising.
On a typical day here at THS we house over 76+ rescue horses with a maximum capacity of 80. This cost doesn’t include our facility, maintenance and ranch equipment, like barns, shelters, paddocks, wells, fencing, tractors, ATVs, horse trailers, etc.
It takes a lot to care for a rescue horse at The Horse Shelter, with your generous support we will continue rescuing, rehabilitating and finding forever homes for these gentle horses.
Here is a breakdown of the basic costs for keeping and caring for a rescue horse.
Hay for one horse costs $5.00 per day, $150 per month and $1,800 per year! This is not including supplemental feed, such as grain. We experienced a 21% increase in cost in 2021 and with the ongoing drought, rising fuel and transportation costs, are preparing for continued increases in 2022.
- Farrier every six to 12 weeks (depending on training status) at $45 per trim – at least $180 per year.
- Dentistry once or twice a year (depending on age) at $125.
- Annual basic core vaccinations of rabies, tetanus, equine influenza, and other routine vaccines at $95.00 per horse, some new intakes need boosters as well.
- Other needed items, such as mineral blocks, de-wormers, supplemental feed as grain, halters, training tools, feeders, water troughs, fly masks, fly predators, and more!
- Another very large expense is the ongoing cost of equipment maintenance (truck, trailer, tractor, manure spreaders, etc…) and staff to muck, water, clean troughs, socialize and train!
- Feeding more expensive concentrates or supplements.
- Accidents and unexpected veterinarian bills
- A horse that requires shoes or special trimming
- A horse that is ill or injured.
- Some horse arrive at the shelter pregnant or severely emaciated and require additional veterinary care.
- Rapidly rising fuel prices and replacement cost for all our equipment, transportation.
- At the Shelter we have no pastures and must feed year around. With ongoing drought the price of feed is driven up significantly.
Sponsor a Horse
Sponsorship Program Levels
Level 1: $50 Per Month
Level 2: $100 Per Month
Level 3: $150 Per Month – (Feed For One Horse)
Level 4: $250 Per Month – (Full Care For One Horse)
We are grateful for sponsorships at any level or for any amount you are comfortable with. You will be named as a sponsor on the horse’s webpage. Horses can be sponsored at any level. Thank you to all of our sponsors for the kindness and generosity!