Volunteer at The Horse Shelter
Thank you for your interest in volunteering for The Horse Shelter. You do not need to have any horse experience to volunteer for us. We will safely train you to be around our horses and you will be able to progress through our online and onsite training classes at your own speed.
THS Volunteer Program
- Your commitment to give us 12 hours a month of your time.
- Training class for General Ranch & Barn Policies, Safety Guidelines & Procedures and understanding herd dynamics and basic horse body language.
- All volunteers at the ranch start each day with mucking. After a volunteer has completed their first 12 hours of service, they may participate in our hands-on Forever Foundation Plan 4 Progress horse training program following morning mucking. You may also decide to help in the office/Resale Store.
- We will also be offering free and low-fee natural horsemanship clinics to help improve your skill level and allow you more hands on responsibilities with our rescue horses.
- During this whole process, you will find yourself developing close bonds with other volunteers, as well as our horses.
If you are willing to commit and would like to attend the initial orientation, please sign up through the link above and add the date you are interested in the comment box.
Please check your spam folder if you do not get a reply in your inbox within 48 hours and add [email protected] to your trusted contacts.
Volunteer Orientation Dates 2022
Orientation takes place at our ranch and is from 10 am to 12 pm. The orientation is followed by a tour of the ranch. Please dress appropriately for outdoors (solid shoes/boots, sun protection, layered is best!) It is often more windy, cold or hot than in town.
- January 14
- February 11
- March 11
- April 8
- May 13
- July 8
- August 12
- September 9
- November 11
- December 9
Please send in your application and our volunteer coordinator Traci Kipnes will contact you. If you have any questions please call Traci at 505.577.2193 or email [email protected].
Please Note: Our volunteer orientations are limited to 15 attendees. If any orientation is full, you will be notified and invited to the next orientation.